Welcome to 2019 everyone...and from all of us here at La Gaffe in jolly Hampstead, we wish you only good things for the upcoming months. After the holidays (which may have involved too much eating, too much partying or too much lethargy, depending on what kind of person you are!) January can sometimes feel like a bit of a letdown - which is why we've decided to give you a few ideas of things that are going on in our fantastic north London neighbourhood.
1. Hampstead Heath Laughter Club, Parliament Hill - when you feel like life is getting you down, when everything seems really lousy, then this is just up your street. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYCu0oNSrU Held on the first Sunday of each month, from 11am to midday, all you need to do is show up at the Parliament Hill Bandstand, at the edge of Hampstead Heath. It's a free event and everyone is welcome - all you need is to be able to smile. From the old to the young, all are welcome and there's no pressure to talk (or even tell jokes). Put simply, it's all about eye contact and enthusiasm! Go on - try it out.
2. The Freud Museum On Sunday 9th January at 2pm, take a tour of the home of the father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud. After fleeing Nazi Vienna, Freud settled in a rambling house in Hampstead and lived there until his death. Being an obsessive collector, the place is full of statues, paintings and books, and gives anyone visiting a real insight into the man behind the words. At the same time as the tour, there will be a short talk about the background to Freud leaving Austria - the tour and talk are included in the admission price.https://www.freud.org.uk/event/first-sunday-house-tour-10/
3. Uncle Vanya - improve your mind at the Hampstead Playhouse, and catch one of the last performances of "Uncle Vanya" Written and directed by Terry Johnson, this is the first major production of Chekhov's melancholy masterpiece in two years. OK it might not leave you laughing in the aisles, but at least you'll go home pondering the effects of unrequited love on an unfulfilled life! https://www.hampsteadtheatre.com/whats-on/2018/uncle-vanya/ (Please note - this production has now transferred to the West End - the Harold Pinter theatre in fact - and will play as a new version by Conor McPherson. For more information about tickets, take a look at: https://seatplan.com/london/harold-pinter-theatre/
4. Hampstead School of Art - pop in and take a look at the exhibition running in January. This school, as they put it themselves, "is steeped in the vibrant cultural and artistic tradition of the area." Located in a new purpose-built development in Kiddepore Avenue, the HSoA is a charity and endeavours to support art learning to those who could otherwise not afford it.Ê Entrance is free.
5. Hampstead Jazz Club - enjoy a bit of beebop and blues with Nigel Price at the Hampstead Jazz Club. On 19th January, this regular at Ronnie Scotts will be playing jazz guitar - and tickets are still available. Enjoy his music in this intimate space...doors open at 7pm, and the concert begins at 8pm.
Happy 2019 everyone!